Saturday, August 29, 2009

Vili.Ingi

FEATURED PHOTOGRAPHER: Villi ingi

Solitude
solitude by Villi.Ingi
In 2006 me and my girlfriend were on a vacation in Croatia on the island of Brac. We were having a nice day on the beach walking along the coastline when I noticed this girl standing on a rock quite close to the ocean she stood there and didn't move and she seemed so lonely. I had fallen some distance behind my girlfriend that was walking ahead of me so I only took this one photo of the girl as I walked by, I never saw her face. I rushed to catch up with my girlfriend and we had walked some distance when I looked back and the girl was still standing there.

Months afterwards I finally decided what I wanted to do with the photo and the end result is what you see here. I made the picture from the emotion I was getting from it. I put in the black background and the shaft of light and it just felt somehow right that way.

Oil Study
Oil study by Villi.Ingi
This image is from my earliest macro session. It has a special place among my work as this was the first time I discovered whole new worlds to explore through macro photography.

1: How long have you been involved in photography?

Since the summer of 2006 when the ad agency I work at decided to buy a digital SLR camera for work related projects. While using the camera for work I quickly realized that digital photography offered a new and exciting outlet to express myself as an artist and the rest is pictorial history :)

2: Equipment you use?
Canon EOS 40D

Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 EX DC HSM

Canon EF 50mm f/1.4

Canon MP-E65mm f/2.8 1-5x Macro

Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM

Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L IS USM

Canon Speedlite 580EX

Canon Macro Twin Lite Flash MT-24EX

Manfrotto 055XPROB Tripod with 322RC2 Grip-Action Ballhead


For developing my images I mainly use Photoshop CS3 and Lightroom 2.0. I also use Lightroom for organizing my images. One of the most important tools I use is the Wacom Intuos3 pen tablet which is just fantastic when it comes to editing and working with images in a computer environment. The fact is that after I started using the pen tablet I rarely touch the mouse anymore as the pen tablet offers in my opinion a far more natural and precise interface with the computers workspace and software.

3: Mac or PC?

Certified Mac addict.


4: What inspires you?

How photography has given me a new way of looking at....well everything and then capturing it. You get to discover the world around you all over again. Also that ideas born in our imagination can become visuals that convey a story or invoke feelings in a viewer.

5: Preferred subject matter?

Things that are not always visible with the naked eye. 


6: Name one thing you haven't caught with the camera that you REALLY want to capture.

Well, I´d really like the chance to photograph a polar bear in it´s natural environment. I was in Scoresby Sund on the East Coast of Greenland for a week back in April. There had been a lot of Polar bear acitvity and sightings in the area just prior to my arrival and even on the day I arrived two bears (mother and cub) were spotted close to our cabin but they had left by the time I got there. But the whole week I was there not one bear made an apperance - guess they were camera shy :) 


7: When in doubt about your art, who do you confide in?

Myself. If in doubt I will walk away from what i´m doing, reboot my mind and come back to it later.
That usually does the trick....but it can sometimes take a while. I have dozens of projects patiently waiting my return.



8: Qualifications/training in anything? ie: Photoshop

I studied art & graphic design and I work as a graphic designer so I have a good relationship with the whole Adobe family but I mostly hang out with Ps, Lr and Ai.



9: Plans for the future?

No plans just dreams. If I was photographing professionally I´m sure I´d have plans for the future but for now at least I still like to dream.

10: In one word, describe your photography.
Diverse.

No comments: