Thursday, October 07, 2010

Jeff Dyck

FEATURED PHOTOGRAPHER: Jeff Dyck!!

Single Cloud Wave by Jeff Dyck
This shot is reminiscent of the kind of photos I have been trying to shoot for years. I've made several trips to the "4-Corners" area and can't wait to return.

Least Flycatcher's Nest Revisit - Feedin' Time by Jeff Dyck
This is a more recent shot and is representative of the direction my photography has been going of late. I put a lot of work into getting this shot and I'm very pleased with the result (although if I were to split hairs, I would love to have had the bird's tail in a different position - next time...)

1: How long have you been involved in photography?

About 25 years and change. My parents gave me a Pentax K1000 for my birthday when I was 14 or 15 and I have been hooked since.


2: Equipment you use?

Most of the shots you'll see on Flickr photostream were shot with either a Canon 5DII or a G10, but I am actually relatively new to digital photography - the 5DII was my first digital SLR (purchased in spring 2009). From the mid 90's until quite recently I was very focussed on large format film photography - I still shoot a lot of sheet film in a variety of formats from 4x5 to 11x14. I also have a couple Hasselblads and medium format Fuji rangefinders in the quiver but they don't see much action these days. Horses for courses.


3: Mac or PC?

PC


4: What inspires you?

The natural world. Beautiful light. New places.


5: Preferred subject matter?

I spent many years shooting a lot of landscape photography, but recently I've taken a great interest in wildlife and avian photography. This is really a result of some lifestyle changes. I made a work related moved a few years ago from the northern coast of British Columbia to (very flat) northwestern Ontario - while the boreal forest has a beauty of it's own, one doesn't have to look far to find a huge variety of birds and abundant wild animals - the grand landscapes seem a little harder to come by...


6: Name one thing you haven't caught with the camera that you REALLY want to capture.

More than things, what I still really want to capture are places - I could fill pages with the places I'd like to visit and photograph. If I had to name a thing - an Ivory-billed Woodpecker.


7: When in doubt about your art, who do you confide in?

No one really. I rarely have doubts.


8: Qualifications/training in anything? ie: Photoshop

Nope...


9: Plans for the future?

I've been without a darkroom since my move to Dryden. I recently purchased a very good scanner and a fluid mounting set-up - my winter project this year will be starting to scan my way through 15 years of accumulated sheet film.


10: In one word, describe your photography.

f64-ish?

No comments: