Tuesday, February 22, 2011

LInda Scannell

FEATURED PHOTOGRAPHER: Linda Scannell

99/365 Eyelashes by LindaScannell
This one's of my daughter - she has the most fantastically long eyelashes so while she was playing I took this one to emphasise them.

29/365 Let me explain my plans for world domination, Mr Bond by LindaScannell
Our cat often keeps me company during late night photo editing sessions. I've often noticed her reflection when she's sitting at our glass dining table keeping an eye on me, but she's normally run off by the time I get my camera. This time I had the camera in my hand and here's the result. I have to give my husband Richard credit for the title - he's much better with words than me.

1: How long have you been involved in photography?
My dad lent me his camera when I was 10 years old and I've been hooked on photography ever since. In those days film was the only option and my creativity was limited by lack of access to a dark room. But when I got my first digital camera in 2000 (a chunky 1 Megapixel point and shoot) I could see the potential so switched to a digital SLR as soon as I could afford it.

2: Equipment you use?
I'm a Canon girl. I had a Canon film SLR so stuck with them when I switched to digital. I'm lucky enough to have a 5D Mark II and a 1D Mark IV (great for natural light photography on dark winter days), and a good selection of lenses. My favourite is my 50mm f/1.4 (I love the dreamy quality it gives when shooting at f/2.0 and below - the eyelash picture above was shot with that lens wide open.)

I probably ought to mention my iPhone too. I used to carry a point and shoot camera with me virtually everywhere, but since I've had my iPhone I've not felt the need to. I love creating "low fi" images with it, particularly via Hipstamatic, but probably my favourite camera app is TiltShiftGen - all that lovely blur.

3: Mac or PC?
Both. I spent many years supporting PCs so I know my way round Windows, but I've fallen in love with my Macbook so eventually I think I'll switch over entirely to Macs.

4: What inspires you?
All sorts of things. My family, my cat, my friends, the local landscape, the wonderful range of images you find on Flickr - the list could go on for pages.

5: Preferred subject matter?
I love shooting people and animal portraits, though you probably wouldn't guess that from my photostream as I keep most of my family and client images private.


6: Name one thing you haven't caught with the camera that you REALLY want to capture.
The Northern Lights. I've never seen them but taking a trip to the Arctic Circle to experience them is definitely on my To Do list.

7: When in doubt about your art, who do you confide in?
My husband, and one of my closest friends, who's also on Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/annrob/

8: Qualifications/training in anything? ie: Photoshop
I studied photography with the Open College of Arts and got my licentiateship of the Royal Photographic Society as a result. I also have a licentiateship of the Society of Wedding & Portrait Photographers. I've been on various wedding and portrait courses, which have included bits of Photoshop and Lightroom training but I've learnt most of my editing techniques from the Internet and by experimenting.

9: Plans for the future?
Carrying on with my "photo a day" project, building up my photography business, and continuing to experiment. I had my first photography exhibition last year, and I'm planning another one this year. I've got several ideas for projects - I just need to make the time to do them.


10: In one word, describe your photography.
Expressive

No comments: