Tuesday, August 09, 2011

~Patti~

FEATURED PHOTOGRAPHER:
~*Patti*~

balance by ~*Patti*~
selected this photo because I love the utter simplicity of it, the balance of the elements. If a composition can be called "confident", I think this one is.

energy level (August) by ~*Patti*~
Echinacea is one of my garden muses. I feel this shot represents the essence of the plant: delicate, elegant and dignified.

1 Tell us a little about yourself
I live near Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. I’m a lifelong artist with a BFA in painting from Carnegie Mellon University. I consider myself an image junkie: forever in search of new forms, colors, and visual relationships to keep myself visually excited. Fickle, restless and open-minded would also be accurate descriptions of me.

2: How long have you been involved in photography?
I’ve gotten seriously involved in photography over the last three or four years. The instant access to my work via DSLR appeals to me greatly (I’ll never be remembered for having great patience). Painting, drawing and gardening have always been my go-to creative outlets.

3: Equipment you use?
I shoot with a Canon 5D MKII, Canon L 24-105 f/4, 50mm f/2.8, Speedlite 580EX II and I’ve just gotten a Lensbaby Muse; I also use my old Sony Alpha 100 from time to time—the color is incredible!

4 Who or what inspires you?
My passion for gardening provides much of the inspiration for my photos, but I am also inspired by so many other things. I have a few contacts here on Flickr who continually inspire with their expressions.

5: Preferred subject matter?
My subject matter is usually what is close at hand—garden plants and my children. My husband and I go to vintage car shows from time to time and I adore shooting 1940’s and 50’s American cars.


6: Name one thing you haven't caught with the camera that you REALLY want to capture.
My photography bucket list is long! I would love to try some underwater art photography and also explore long exposure.

7 If you weren’t a photographer would you have another artistic pursuit? If so what?
I love the physical as well as the creative aspects of gardening and landscape design. I would love to be a landscape designer, florist or some sort of plants-person.


8: Do you have any advice for someone just starting their photography journey?
I am too new to photography to give advice! For artists in general, we should seek constructive criticism, make ourselves vulnerable to advice and critique from those we admire. This is not seeking validation (hearing what we want to hear), but it is encouraging exploration and personal growth. Then, we must not be afraid to ignore rules, advice and criticism.

9: Plans for the future?
With my youngest child leaving for college in a few weeks, I hope to expand my creative horizons with new media and subject matter, and I also plan to return to painting more seriously. An “Art Camp” or retreat is not out of the question.

10: In one word, describe your photography.
Alive

No comments: