Saturday, November 18, 2006

IrenaS






1: How long have you been involved in photography?

I started getting seriously into photography almost a year ago. Prior to
that, I had a film camera and I would take photos only when I travelled. Once I got a digital SLR, I started taking photos much more regularly.

2: Equipment you use?
I now exclusively use digital cameras. My primary camera is the Canon 20D. I have the following lenses: Canon 17-85mm IS is
my main walk-around lens. I have the Canon 70-210mm lens from
my film camera days. I just recently purchased two lenses: the Canon 50mm f1.8 and the Canon 10-22mm, which I'm very excited about. For Infrared photography, I use an Olympus C2020Z and a Hoya R72 filter. Other filters I use include the following (all are Hoya brand): circular polarizer, ND8 and ND4, and the ND400 filter for long exposure photography. Yikes! That's quite a bit actually.

3: Mac or PC?
PC

> 4: What inspires you?
Looking at other peoples' photos is a major source of inspiration. Without that wouldn't even know what's possible. Songs, movies, things I read as well. Just a line that I read or hear can conjure up a visual that I want to recreate. Also, simply going out with my camera, not knowing what I'll see that day and coming across something that makes me stop and look.

5: Prefered subject matter?
I think I'm still figuring this out as I continue to try different things.
However, a few of the subjects that seem to stand out are scapes of any kind (landscapes, waterscapes, cityscapes), trees
and forests (I went through quite the green phase this past spring and
summer), and conceptual photos.

> 6: Name one thing you haven't caught with the camera
> that you REALLY want to capture.
********
I would have to say that I haven't yet taken a really good "decisive moment" photograph. One in which all the elements come together in front of you, you happen to be there at the right time, and you react at just the right moment, and frame it in just the right way.

7: When in doubt about your art, who do you confide
> in?
My boyfriend is also an artist (though not a visual artist), so he is someone I'll express doubts or worries to, and he understands thoroughly. I also read the words of other artists, do yoga, and occasionally just take a break to get some perspective.

8: Qualifications/training in anything? ie:
> Photoshop
I have no professional training or qualifications in photography or
Photoshop. I am self-taught. I learn well through reading books, looking at other peoples' work, and experimenting. I'm a technical writer by day, so not only can I give instructions, but I can take them too! I guess I have a fairly technical mind, so Photoshop and more technical methods, like HDR, don't phase me.

9: Plans for the future?
To keep taking more photos obviously! I have no current plans to try to turn this into any kind of career. In terms of what I'd like to explore, I'm
really itching to get out there with my new wide-angle lens to discover its possibilities. This winter, as the days get colder, I also plan on snuggling up with some Photoshop books to learn more about photomanipulation, particularly compositing. Other areas I want to explore more include fine art photography and long exposure photography.

10: In one word, describe your photography.
Atmospheric

No comments: