Monday, July 27, 2009

Netream

FEATURED PHOTOGRAPHER: Netream

Swirl by Netream
It's a spiral stairway in a public library in Amsterdam. I was tipped of about the library, so I went on a photo-safari there. When I was inside I saw this stairwell. It was hard to reach it, it was somewhat hidden away in the back of the building. But it was worthwhile. And yes, I did some editing, but it was already beautiful.

Cosmic snake-charmer by Netream
This is the reflection of a fountain/artwork somewhere in Nijmegen (where I live). I only needed to bring out the blue a bit. Just a very nice
fountain. And I had luck with the dark and cloudy sky.

1: How long have you been involved in photography?

For as long as I can remember, really. My father was into photography and had a dark room in the attic. When I was about 12 I got my first camera (an Olympus trip, an excellent camera), soon after that I bought my first SLR (a Nikon Nikkormat). I shot black and white and did my own processing. I shot black and white until about ten years ago, when my interest waned. Working in a darkroom was intense, time-consuming and gave very few satisfying results. Thank God for digital photography - it gave me a big boost!

2: Equipment you use?

I began with Nikon and sticked to it. Excellent stuff, although I'm sure Canon isn't bad either. But Nikon really rocks! I have a D300, with a 17-55 2.8 lens, which cost me a fortune but turned out to be worth every penny - fast and sharp. I also have a 50 mm 1.8 for portraits and lowlight.

3: Mac or PC?

PC, unfortunately. Works very well, but lacks the user-friendliness and sex-appeal of a Mac. I do have an iPod and an iPhone though!

4: What inspires you?

I like to look at reality, but with a twist. Sometimes a detail, sometimes a different angle, extra saturation or contrast. I find it very hard to shoot people (photographically that is), and studio-work doesn't appeal to me.
Flickr really gave my photography a boost. I love looking at other peoples work as it really inspires me. And of course I really like it when people like my work :-)

5: Preferred subject matter?

Architecture, stairwells, colours, form-repetition, contrasts. In general the thin line between abstract and reality.
I am the sole administrator of the group über-spesh (http://www.flickr.com/groups/uber-spesh/) where I collect photo's that I really like (and no, I don't post there myself). I hope to bring good photographers in contact there.

6: Name one thing you haven't caught with the camera that you REALLY want to capture.

There are plenty of places to go to, all over the world, where I would love to shoot. Bilbao, Sydney. But I find it also very challenging to take a beautiful photo of a well known place nearby.
Oh, and sure, I would love to be able to do portraits.

7: When in doubt about your art, who do you confide in?

I have one very good friend, who has an awesome eye. I trust his judgement completely. I'll make him my manager and get famous, one day.

8: Qualifications/training in anything? ie: Photoshop

Nope. Completely taught everything myself. Takes a bit longer, but is much better, I think.
Nowadays internet is a big help. I subscribed to Matt Kloskowski's Photoshop Killer Tips podcast. That turned out to be very helpful!

9: Plans for the future?

I would like to do some exhibitions, and make more Blurb-books (I have one out: www.blurb.com/my/book/detail/666991).
Oh, and I'm gonna get famous and rich.

10: In one word, describe your photography.

Über-spesh.

No comments: