Thursday, March 29, 2007

Leviathor

Skylight au Natural
Getting to Antelope Canyon at the right time of day will reward the visitor with spectacular light pillars. This particular spot is the most photogenic, which is evident from the line of photographers recording the event in another of my images.
Good Morning
I'd never understood the attraction of Mono Lake--and visiting it the evening prior to the above exposure increased my doubt of this place. There are probably countless images of the various structures near the South Tufa Reserve, and I figured why should I add another drop to the endless sea of similar images? Well, I woke up early so the light would best serve me, and did it ever. This image not only bolstered my love of the Sierras, but the wild dynamic of light from pre-dawn to just after sunrise was amazing, helping me understand the draw of this area.

And then it was question time!!

1: How long have you been involved in photography?
1. I bought my first SLR in December of 2005. Prior to that I had very limited contact with photography, a Powershot P&S for a couple years was about it.

2: Equipment you use?
A Canon 20D with various red-ring glass. My favorite "walk arounds" are the 70-200 f/2.8L IS and 17-40 f/4L. A 100mm macro for stuff that's really small, a 400mm super-telephoto for things that are far away, and a 50mm prime for things that I can get to. 550EX w/ Omnibounce. Bogen-Manfrotto tripod and head. Lowepro and Pelican for storage. For printing I use an Epson Stylus Photo 2200.

3: Mac or PC?
PC.

4: What inspires you?
The quest for that "perfect exposure".

5: Preferred subject matter?
I really enjoy natural scenes: Landscape and wildlife. However, I'm trying to settle into portraiture and wedding photography.

6: Name one thing you haven't caught with the camera that you REALLY want to capture.
An emotive image.

7: When in doubt about your art, who do you confide in?
Someone honest, like a goon who will tell me if something is completely worthless or uninspiring. My mother, who has a degree in art, is very helpful when she's not sugar-coating her replies. My girlfriend has a pretty keen sense for what looks good and what doesn't.

8: Qualifications/training in anything? ie: Photoshop
Qualifications in photography? An understanding of light due to a degree in physics and work with lasers. Photoshop? Playing around--aka: self-educated.

9: Plans for the future?
I would love to open a studio and gallery, making enough money during the studio on-season to vacation and travel over the off-season. Completing a higher degree in physics is also plan; I love research and contributing to the field.

10: In one word, describe your photography.
Understanding. I love to understand what I'm shooting, and try to convey that whenever possible.

No comments: