Monday, September 03, 2007

Mykl Mabalay

FEATURED PHOTOGRAPHER: Mykl Mabalay


-- from mykl mabalay - (?)
This was taken during the 'Cenakulo' in Cainta, Philippines. During the Lenten Season, devotees reenact the Passion of Christ and remember his ultimate sacrifice. Religion plays an important role in the Filipino culture and it is not uncommon to see this practice in different provinces.


-- from mykl mabalay - (?)
I have to say that this is one of my most intense images. The kid's stare, the leaves, the drop of water, all work together to grab the viewers' attention. I shot this image together with some close friends in Pagsanjan, Laguna, Philippines.

1: How long have you been involved in photography?
The photography bug bit me last February 2006 only. I wanted to learn how to shoot portraits a few months before my son, Lorenzo, was born.

2: Equipment you use?
I use either a Canon Powershot S3 IS or a Canon 350D with a 24-70mm L lens for most of my photos.

3: Mac or PC?
I currently use a PC for post-processing my photos but I'm willing to try out a Mac one of these days.

4: What inspires you?
My family, friends, and the beautiful people of the Philippines.

5: Preferred subject matter?
People and emotions

6: Name one thing you haven't caught with the camera that you REALLY want to capture.
It's my dream to shoot the different tribal groups in the Philippines, from Luzon to Mindanao.


7: When in doubt about your art, who do you confide in?
My wife is my biggest supporter and she is also my worst critic.

8: Qualifications/training in anything? ie: Photoshop
I enrolled in a number of photography workshops when I was just starting out in photography. It was important for me to learn the fundamentals properly. However, the most important skills that led to my growth in this hobby were things that I learned from friends who share the same interest.

9: Plans for the future?
To continue to learn and enjoy photography as a hobby

10: In one word, describe your photography.
Emotive

No comments: