Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Eplefat

FEATURED PHOTOGRAPHER: Eplefat


-- from eplefat - (?)
I don't have any favorite photos, it's just some photos I like better than others. This one of Solveig is shot some weeks ago. What I like about it is that you can see some kind of expression behind her hair, but it's hard to figure exactly what. I just hope that someone will discover Solveig and her talent someday. She is awesome!


-- from eplefat - (?)
This is Kamilla, the fur coat belongs to her grandma. I had a desperate try to make it look more feminine and interesting by shaping it like her hips. What I like about this is her expression against the styling. She looks so good with long hair.

1: How long have you been involved in photography?

The day my father bought the Canon EOS 350D, my interest in photography started growing. It took about 9 months before I created my Flickr profile. At that time, my photography was simply all about capturing something special, or something that was pure and beautiful in my opinion. Photography wasn't my biggest interest back then, I was planning to keep up with graphics design or interior design. Things changed when I got my 50mm f/1.8 lens for christmas in 2006, and after two months I started with portraiture. With lots of inspiration from Lara Jade Coton and similar portraiture photographers at my age, my interest in portraiture just grew. Now I've had my 50mm for about a year, and now I'm kinda in need of a new one, mine is well used.

2: Equipment you use?

98% of my photos is taken with the EOS 350D (Digital Rebel XT). Recently I bought a EOS 40D, and now I only shoot in RAW, which I never did with the 350D. I mostly use my 50mm f/1.8 and my 85mm f/1.8 portraiture lenses for my photos, mostly because of the DoF they make.

3: Mac or PC?

I've used Macs for about seven years now. I love them, they inspire me. I think that's all there is to say.

4: What inspires you?

What inspires me is the hardcore experimental fashion. I love looking through old editorials from Italian Vogue for inspiration. I also admire the works of some really good photographers at my age, their style and their processing work inspire me a lot.

5: Preferred subject matter?

I would say fashion, but I'm also into capturing different moods of things and people. I love to use my camera as a way of communicating a mood or a very strong expression. I'm very fascinated by the fashion industry as you probably know by now.

6: Name one thing you haven't caught with the camera that you REALLY want to capture.

I never plan my personal photoshoots, and that's something I want to do more. I want to make a specific theme/setting and plan every detail from make-up to background details. I think that this will help me to focus more on the pure photography part than the other involved stuff. So, that's something I haven't captured yet, and I would very much like to do it. But, to answer the question, there is a lot of "things" i would love to capture, and by "things" i mean models. Right now Alice Gibb is on the top of my wishlist, but I could keep on for hours just writing a list of models I would have loved to shoot.

7: When in doubt about your art, who do you confide in?

I often take some time without personal projects, to focus on the commissions I get, like family/children portraiture and other. Mostly because it is "boring" work, where I don't actually need to be so creative. When I take a little time off, my mind gets inspiration from things I see in daily life and at school and such.

8: Qualifications/training in anything? ie: Photoshop

Fact is, I'm totally self-taught. For about 5 years I've been messing around in photoshop, and you sure do learn something from that. I'm self-taught when it comes to photography too. It would have been nice to have friends with a similar interest in photography that I have.

9: Plans for the future?

I'll probably finish high-school first, and try to develop my art a lot while I have the time and live with my parents. Then I'm going to live in Oslo for some time, supposedly to become an intern with a great photographer. My dream is to study at Brooks Institute of Photography in California for some years, and I'll probably to that if I get the money. After that I want to have my own fashion studio in New York. Ok, so it seems like it's all kinda planned.

10: In one word, describe your photography.

I think it's a quite impossible task to describe my photography in one word. A lot of my photos looks like a frozen moment, with a frozen expression.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.