Monday, February 04, 2008

D. James

FEATURED PHOTOGRAPHER: D. James


-- from D.James | Darren Ryan - (?)
I chose this first photo because I just love how each color plays off of the others and the softness of the pattern, for me it adds an element of electricity and intrigue to the image.


-- from D.James | Darren Ryan - (?)
I love architecture, so I thought I would share this second shot. In many ways, this building is very simple and utilitarian. Almost a literal box. But if you look deeply at the lines, the details, the light, the shadows and the colors, it becomes more than just a box; it takes on a rhythm, or better yet a life of some sort. This shot is a very simply study of what many folks see (or ignore) as an unattractive box.

1: How long have you been involved in photography?
Since I was about 6 years old. My dad was an avid photographer, so he always had his camera and I was always his little assistant. As I grew up, he taught me so much, from the technical aspects of photography to darkroom techniques and of course digital photography. He passed away in 2001 and I didn’t shoot anything for the next 5 years or so. In 2006, I picked up the camera again, found Flickr and have been working again ever since!

2: Equipment you use?
Canon and Sony, although I really prefer my Sony. Not much of a gear head here so I won’t list everything down to the color of my camera bags. I definitely feel that it’s not necessarily about the gear, it’s about the skills that one brings to the camera!

3: Mac or PC?
PC…um…no further comment.

4: What inspires you?
All kinds of things inspire me! There are some really awesome Flickr folks that are very inspirational. I love color, lines, structure and composing images, but where I find the most inspiration is just looking around me at the things I see every day and learning how to interpret them differently or to look through them and see something different.

5: Preferred subject matter?
I prefer to shoot inanimate objects and try to give them energy and life. I also love to hunt down great color!!

6: Name one thing you haven't caught with the camera that you REALLY want to capture.
A great portrait of my pack (the beagles and me). I am awful with portraits anyway so maybe I will leave that up to some Flickrite who rocks portraits and can handle the challenge! Any takers!? =)

7: When in doubt about your art, who do you confide in?
My cameras. I know that sounds really silly, but it’s true. My photography is very personal for me so I tend not to share unless I am fully confident in the work.


8: Qualifications/training in anything? ie: Photoshop
I am a creative director by trade, so from a professional standard I am quite familiar with many editing and design programs, although Photoshop is by far my favorite tool.


9: Plans for the future?
This one is a tough one because who knows what the future holds! I know that If my eyes and hands still work, I will be shooting!


10: In one word, describe your photography.
This one is the toughest because I really don’t know what I would call it in one word. Since I couldn’t come up with something on my own, I asked a few of my Flickr friends to help me out and they struggled to come up with just one word too! So I thought I would share some of what they came up with:

Stunning, vibrant, imaginative, abstract, inspiring, stupendous, riveting, captivating, magnetic, charismatic, complex, frame-worthy, contrast, magical, DeJaArt, futuristic, colorful, superb, geometric, architectural, caring, decadent, textural, alluring and visionary.

I know, more than one word, but whew, do I have some of the absolute best Flickr friends in the world or what!

No comments: