Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Cinema Cowgirl

FEATURED PHOTOGRAPHER: CinemaCowgirl

A scene suggestive of so many possible storylines for me. And I can't help but love the rich golds. Taken with my Super Ikonta.

-- from CinemaCowgirl - (?)

I just love the atmosphere here, and how the light washes out what were once extraordinarily lush colors. Also taken with my Super Ikonta

-- from CinemaCowgirl - (?)

1: How long have you been involved in photography?
I've been taking pictures since I was about 5 years old, but I only seriously started getting involved with photography about 3-4 years ago. I'm a visual being, and after I stopped working on filmmaking, I needed something to fill the creative void, and a way to express myself. Photography is definitely my primary passion now.

2: Equipment you use?
When I'm shooting digital, I'm almost always using my Nikon D300. A few of my favorite lenses are my buttery smooth Nikkor 85mm f/1.4, my always reliable Nikkor 50mm f/1.8, and my workhorse, the Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8.
I have a collection of older film cameras, but I most often shoot with my Zeiss Super Ikonta IV when using film. I also love using my Polaroid sx-70 and 600SE cameras.

3: Mac or PC?
I used PC for years, but switched over to Mac when I started working on films some years ago. Mac is definitely my computer of choice now for all of my photography work.

4: What inspires you?
I'm inspired by many things - films (of all ages and genres), books of all kind, the work of other photographers, musicians and artists, people-watching, my dreams and fantasies, conversations, visiting new places, light, shadows, empty spaces, found objects, science, history... the list goes on and on.

5: Preferred subject matter?
I gravitate towards shooting things that to me, are rich in history or dripping with atmosphere or suggestions of narratives. Ideally, I try to find a way to build on what I already see, by adding my own dramatic lighting or using a subject that suits a certain scene or can interact with particular objects to enhance an imagined plot or atmosphere. I'm addicted to light (even as a subject). Sometimes I seek out good light first and foremost and then build a scene or story around it.

6: Name one thing you haven't caught with the camera that you REALLY want to capture.
I can't think of one particular thing or moment that I've always wanted to capture that I haven't yet. A large percentage of my photography revolves around arranged/planned shoots, and I have an endless list of ideas that I have yet to execute. I hope I always have enough ideas where there's something I'm aching to shoot that I haven't gotten around to yet!

7: When in doubt about your art, who do you confide in?
I tend to be a very private person (despite what some of my photography might suggest.) I definitely go through phases where I have doubts or insecurities about my art, or my ideas, or my direction, but I'm not quick to reveal those feelings. I do, however, have a very small handful of close family members and friends who I confide in when I'm truly hitting my head against the wall. Ultimately it's just nice to have people you trust who will listen when you're hoping to be heard.

8: Qualifications/training in anything? ie: Photoshop
All of my official training is in filmmaking. Generally speaking, I'm self-taught as a photographer and photo editor (though I think my filmmaking skills have definitely helped me in many ways).

9: Plans for the future?
I would love to find a way to work on my photography full time. Currently, I work a day job and do my personal shooting and freelance work on the side. Making the transition to doing photography work full time seems like a gigantic leap at the moment (NYC certainly isn't a cheap place to live!), but that's my long term goal. I have a couple of lengthy personal projects I'd like to start work on (one of those being a multi-media project), and I want to arrange a gallery show of some sort featuring those projects in the future. I've also contemplated trying to put together a gallery show featuring the work of a couple handfuls of local NYC flickrites.

10: In one word, describe your photography.
Evocative.

No comments: