Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Extra Medium

FEATURED PHOTOGRAPHER:Extra Medium


-- from Extra Medium - (?)
I've always been a fan of fashion even though my talents lie more in landscape photography. While on travel earlier this year, I decided to try to blend the two worlds and hire a model to test some shots out in this beautiful valley surrounded by buttes. She was excellent at posing and we got a bunch of cool shots as the sun was setting.


-- from Extra Medium - (?)
I've always had a fascination with barns. Growing up in the LA suburbs we didn't have many around, so when I was in the middle of California and saw this barn at sunrise, I quickly backed onto the property, setup my tripod, got a few shots, and with a little HDR processing, got this shot. Sure trespassing is wrong, but my philosophy has always been, "Great shots don't come from following the rules"

1: How long have you been involved in photography?
I remember taking my first photo the last day of high school (1992) and since then tried to always photograph the world around me. But only in the last 3 years have I really taken it seriously. Really unfortunate too because I've visited 25 countries, and really had no idea what I was doing.

2: Equipment you use?
I'm very fortunate to be able to use my father-in-law somewheretropical's Nikon equipment. He's been more than generous. He lets me use his D3, 300 2.8, 400 2.8 and just about everything else. Just recently I picked up the 85 1.4D and... oh.... the possibilities. I also have my eye on the new Tokina 11-16 to help further my landscape shots.

3: Mac or PC?
I've been using PC computers since 1986. I don't see myself changing anytime soon. I'm a unix systems engineer by trade, so I'm used to old school technology that brakes a lot.

4: What inspires you?
You know the photographers on Flickr inspire me the most. Coming on here every day and seeing the creative and beautiful images my peers create is more than enough inspiration for me to go out and try new things. I mean, where else would I have learned about tilt-shift miniature fakes and HDR?

5: Preferred subject matter?
I don't like babies. They don't listen well. That's the only thing I've had difficulty with. I honestly love shooting weddings because there is nothing more beautiful than a bride on her wedding day. I also really enjoy landscapes because it's just as difficult to shoot something popular (think Grand Canyon) when you have a dozen people taking the same shot, makes me think "what do I need to do in order to get something original here". I'm also getting into car photography and have really enjoyed the maternity shoots I've done recently too.

6: Name one thing you haven't caught with the camera that you REALLY want to capture.
I'd really like to get a media pass for a Laker game and sit behind the basket and shoot back there.

7: When in doubt about your art, who do you confide in?
I don't really know. I just keep looking and do more research. I do talk with a lot of people on here, and most of the time they're very generous with their thoughts and how to do things.

8: Qualifications/training in anything?
I am completely self-taught, with a lot of help from the people on here and my peers. Again, lots of research and practice.

9: Plans for the future?
I have a day job which I do pretty well at. I'd love to do photography full time, but not until it pays more than my day job. That might not happen for a while, so until then, I'm redesigning my website and always trying to shoot more, and shoot different things. I'm always up for a challenge.

10: In one word, describe your photography.
Strategy

No comments: