Thursday, August 14, 2008

Buddha's Ghost

FEATURED PHOTOGRAPHER: Buddha's Ghost

1- I don't like to completely explain an image to others, as it disallows their own imagination to define what they're seeing. However, I'll make an exception here. This was a shot taken in heavy rain at twilight. There was a girl who couldn't have been more than 19 or 20 hunched over the steering wheel while gripping it to the point of white knuckles. She maintained a steady 50 miles per hour with her eyes glued to the four lanes of freeway ahead as cars and big rigs roared by her throwing up plumes of blinding water.
She had Alaska license plates and was headed north towards Seattle, WA. Looking in the fogged back window as I passed her, it appeared as if she had all her worldly belongings wedged into the back seat. I've often thought about what her story might have been. I still remember the dim fading light of her headlamps as they dwindled in my rearview mirror.

-- from Buddha's Ghost - (?)

2- This is an image I made in an old veterans' cemetery near Orting, Washington. There's such a strange feeling I get from this place. I've always been interested in cemeteries and the obvious statements they bring to mind about our own mortality, but this one throws off an unusual vibe. It's quite sad and touching. Like some strange garden from a faerie tale. Where instead of poppies and roses, so many unselfish souls lie like tulip bulbs. With the stone markers informing the casual gardener of their types and how much to water them.

-- from Buddha's Ghost - (?)

1: How long have you been involved in photography?

I've had a fascination with photography since probably the age of seven or eight. I would take photos with my mother's Brownie Hawkeye. As an adult, I grew away from the camera, but eventually came back to it in the early nineties. With the advent of affordable digital cameras my full love of photography sprang to life.

2: Equipment you use?

At the moment I use a Canon 40D and Canon 30D as my digital bodies. For film I have two aged Canon TLb's from the 70's and a Minolta X-370 from the 80's.

3: Mac or PC?

I do my photo editing on a home built PC.

4: What inspires you?

The eternal dance of shadow and light.
A beautiful curve
A bold line
A mood, a feeling
A sense of despair.
Anything that makes my hands reach for the camera.



5: Preferred subject matter?

Looking at my photo stream, you might be inclined to conclude it's nature ( in particular: birds/crows) . And while nature photography is very fulfilling, it's not my preferred subject matter. I love shooting candid shots of "out of the ordinary" people; especially with interesting surroundings. This includes my Native American series.
.
6: Name one thing you haven't caught with the camera that you REALLY want to capture.

The face of God. Don't really think that one's going to happen though. :^D



7: When in doubt about your art, who do you confide in?

I leave it to speak for itself. Art is, after all, quite subjective and completely at the whim of personal preference. What works as a pleasing image to one individual may look like so much rubbish to another. The photos I take are a type of self-therapy. If others enjoy what I've produced from my mind's eye, then that's an added bonus.

8: Qualifications/training in anything? ie: Photoshop

I actually spent much of the first half of my life immersed in traditional arts (e.g. , painting, pencil, pen and ink, et al.) I went to college for a degree in graphic design, but lost my focus somewhere along the way.


9: Plans for the future?

I'm always looking to get more exposure for my work and wish to continue honing my camera skills.


10: In one word, describe your photography.

Epiphanous

No comments: