Saturday, August 23, 2008

*Melissa*

FEATURED PHOTOGRAPHER: *Melissa*


-- from ...*melissa*... - (?)
I took this on one of my lunchtime photo strolls, just before noon. I love it for two reasons: 1. the light cutting in at the corner and illuminating the texture on the wall; 2. the plant busting out of the open window as if looking for life outside


-- from ...*melissa*... - (?)
While this shot doesn't necessarily represent my usual "style" (if I have a usual style), it does represent Tucson, and Tucson is where I take virtually all of my shots. It's a city bursting with life, color, and texture, and I am constantly inspired by what I find simply walking out and about.

1: How long have you been involved in photography?
When I was eight, my grandma gave me a point and shoot camera for Christmas. I took it with me everywhere. My bedroom walls were covered with cut-out photos of my friends from elementary through high school. I bought a second-hand Canon T70 and took a black + white photography class my senior year of high school to learn how to process and print my own shots. I was so hooked that I took more black + white classes in college (the only two available), and found myself lost in the darkroom on more than one occasion. I took only black and white for a few years, but when I moved to Tucson in ’01, I started getting inspired by the color around me. I didn’t do much about it until the winter of ’07, though, when I finally picked up a DSLR, discovered Flickr, and the rest is history.

2: Equipment you use?
I resisted digital for some time, but am now lucky enough to own a Canon 5D, a Canon 30D, and a few pretty decent lenses. I owned the very first digital Rebel Canon put out, but sold it to a friend so I could upgrade. I am in love with the 5D.

3: Mac or PC?
PC, and a pretty crappy one at that, though I’ve always wanted to transition. I think Mac’s are much “cooler,” though maybe I’m just easily influenced by advertising. 

4: What inspires you?
I can find inspiration almost anywhere – it’s all in how you look at things. Walls, windows, doors…the light hitting a saguaro just right…some rust on a dumpster…peeling paint…

5: Preferred subject matter?
Anything with color and texture for the most part. Urban abstracts are really appealing to me, and I’m particularly drawn to clean lines and bold colors. It also makes me really happy to photograph children.

6: Name one thing you haven't caught with the camera that you REALLY want to capture.
My future husband and kids? Is that not edgy enough?  Okay, how about – landscapes, in general. I have a lot of respect for people who can shoot landscapes well because, truthfully, I just don’t have the patience. I own a tripod, and a pretty good one at that, but I NEVER use it. And I can’t stand still long enough to really capture the sense of a place, especially a place that is, in itself, extremely beautiful.

7: When in doubt about your art, who do you confide in?
God. I am always wondering if my photography is purely selfish (because I enjoy is so much) or if there is the possibility of a larger purpose to my work – if there is the possibility of good coming from it. When I’m in doubt, I pray about it. Cheesy, but true.

8: Qualifications/training in anything? ie: Photoshop
Though I was able to learn about film processing and working in a darkroom, I’ve never had any formal photography training – not with the camera itself, photography in general, or other technologies (Photoshop). I use Photoshop, but I’m pretty bad at it and kind of learning as I go. I only recently discovered how to use actions, and am hoping to soon start shooting RAW.

9: Plans for the future?
Though most of my photostream is “object” focused, I’ve been offered several jobs recently shooting people (weddings, engagement photos, and family sessions) and even done some commercial work. It’s been a kick, and I feel privileged to have had the opportunities I’ve had. Human subjects (in natural settings) were my first photography love, and I’d like to get back to it if possible – I’m just not sure I can make a living doing it. 

10: In one word, describe your photography.
Me.

No comments: