Thursday, November 05, 2009

Eve Livesey

FEATURED PHOTOGRAPHER: Eve Livesey
The Journey - 4 by Eve Livesey
So evocative of my migration to Spain – it has everything I’d not managed to capture before – light rays, long exposure on the water and it was a challenge – not having an ND filter and the light was sooo bright

Double Trouble :-) by Eve Livesey
Self-explanatory I think – double-trouble – double the fun and two of the best reasons to be living in Madrid – they light up my life

1: How long have you been involved in photography?
Since May 2006.


2: Equipment you use?
Nikon D80
Nikon 18-135mm F3.8-5.6 (for everyday) and Tamron 90mm F2.8 (for macros) lenses
Nikon Speedlight SB-800 Flash Unit
Bowen Gemini 250/250 Studio Lighting Kit
But the shutter is dying on my camera – so I’m saving up for a new one (well theoretically, but with the state of the economy I might be able to afford one in 5 years) and I have been known to borrow my husband’s equipment ;-)

3: Mac or PC?
PC and Photoshop CS2


4: What inspires you?
Other Flickr members and my Stepson (Warne) and Husband (Jim) - Fuzzbox and Fuzzbox’s Dad on Flickr – and not necessarily in that order ;-) I have also learned so much from my contacts (and I’m still learning)


5: Preferred subject matter?
My Grandchildren :-)
Seriously - don’t really have any – I just get a vague longing to shoot things when I haven’t done them for a while – especially landscapes, macros and modern architecture - so I go off and do them


6: Name one thing you haven't caught with the camera that you REALLY want to capture.
My youngest grandchild’s child :-)


7: When in doubt about your art, who do you confide in?
I have trouble with not having a ‘style’ and have discussed it with my husband – but to be truthful you just have to trust your own judgement in the end – it’s all about personal taste. I have had an enormous amount of help from my contacts over the years. They have put me right about composition, processing and controlling my camera etc and have and still do provide valuable feedback and critique. I try and set myself certain standards when it comes to sharpness etc but as for the rest – it’s all up for grabs. The thing is not to take it all toooo seriously – I love taking photos and I want it to be enjoyable


8: Qualifications/training in anything? ie: Photoshop
Not a one – all self-taught.
I first started taking photos on a family holiday in the Canadian Rockies. Warne and Jim jump out of the car – the most amazing view in front of us, mountains, lake, snow – so not wanting to be left out I ask ‘Can I have a go?’ Jim hands me his brand new Nikon D70 (never been used) with a smile (he loves me really). So I ask (quite logically I thought) ‘How do I set this thing up?’ A look of sheer incredulity passes between them and they reply in unison ‘Set it to Auto!!’ Still makes me laugh when I think about it, talk about ignorance is bliss - but seeing their results and mine made me determined to learn all I could!


9: Plans for the future?
To try and document the beauty of my ‘adopted’ country, Spain, and produce a book about each region, improve control over my camera and be able to process my photos in an appropriate manner to reproduce what I ‘saw’ when I took the photo (this may not vaguely resemble what was in front of me :-)


10: In one word, describe your photography.
Emotional
I hope that each and every photo will produce some kind of emotion in the viewer – whether that’s laughter, melancholy, tranquillity, awe (yeah right ;-) – whatever………..

No comments: