Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Hoogen Imagery

FEATURED PHOTOGRAPHER: Hoogen Imagery
the ancient spine by hoogen imagery
I try and look for the simplicity in a scene and even though there can be a lot going on, if it doesn’t help the image it shouldn’t be there. I’d like to think this image is an example of that thought process, lot’s to look at but all elements work together to strengthen the overall!

the bike rider!!! by hoogen imagery
he image does all the talking really!

1: How long have you been involved in photography?

Over 20 years! Was a privilege discovering photography during the analogue days. The magic of the darkroom captivated me, as did waiting anxiously for my slide film to arrive, then projecting my images and seeing warts and all my work larger than life. Was a great way to learn!

2: Equipment you use?

Nikon in the analogue days, Nikon scanner to digitally archive my film and now digital Nikon to see and capture 'the world through my eyes' today.

3: Mac or PC?

Does it really matter, lol. Oh alrighty then, PC!

4: What inspires you?

Light, composition, balance and structure - and the ongoing lessons I try and learn in applying and not applying these elements in my work. I am also inspired by the many artists in all mediums, and from all era's whose work I try and learn from – ‘look around you, but also look at who came before you’.

5: Preferred subject matter?

I enjoy the landscape but my flickr stream in places is rather eclectic. I am trying to broaden my photographic palate but I will always come back to my early influences, which are nature, the landscape and the elusive quality light that happens from time to time.

6: Name one thing you haven't caught with the camera that you REALLY want to capture.

Lightning! I've tried many times but just haven't got anything that I'm happy with.

7: When in doubt about your art, who do you confide in?

I do rely heavily on my gut instinct and be damned all others, lol. But on flickr, my many friends and contacts are always a source of inspiration; criticism and support and bazpics, ambientlight and philpic are flickr contacts and friends that have, for many years, been a part of the growth of my work, whether it’s been their comments and encouragement or simply looking at their imagery.

8: Qualifications/training in anything? ie: Photoshop

Mainly self taught.

The beauty of photography unlike being an accountant, lawyer, plumber or electrician where you need a piece of paper to operate, photography you can learn and develop your own way with or without formal training!


9: Plans for the future?

With the birth of my second son earlier this year my photography 'for pleasure' has taken a bit of a back seat. As things settle to some semblance of normality, and who knows if this will ever happen, lol, I'd like to keep pushing, developing - pardon the old skool photographic puns - but continue to learn and better my photographic skills


10: In one word, describe your photography.

Focused, lol – who wrote these questions?

I pride myself on my ability too ‘see’, a skill I’m still honing after many years. I hopefully present images that give the viewer a sense of my experience of capturing that special moment!

No comments: