Monday, June 07, 2010

Maloephoto

FEATURED PHOTOGRAPHER: Maloephoto

Rain on my playing day by maloephoto
Taken at home and is of my oldest daughter. I have some smiley ones of the kids but love getting the more emotional shots that seem to have more to say, it’s always important to have a camera on hand for me.

Tree Bone by maloephoto
This tree is like a fossil and must have some amazing stories to tell from growing to being washed up. The picture was taken on Auckland’s West Coast and is a real “soul” place for me. It’s a more raw and unpredictable coast than most and a place I easily connect with.

1: How long have you been involved in photography?
Most of my life, my father is an amateur and my brother an accomplished Pro - no escape for me and really as a creative outlet photography was a simple choice. To be honest though, apart from a short stint years ago, I have probably have only fully concentrated on it for the past 2 years since I joined flickr.


2: Equipment you use?
Canon 5DmkII, 4 Lenses that cover 17mm to 200mm, Lee filters, rusty tripod and some good smelly seascape shoes that are always wet. I really like to immerse myself into my scenes and probably a bit to literally at times - fast legs are definitely a plus!
Really gear is secondary, my own creativity and knowledge is normally the limiting factor or the factor that helps me improve my images.

3: Mac or PC?
PC. I am swaying toward buying a Mac though but my bank says stop swaying and stay where you are.

4: What inspires you?
Lots…..
I have some great flickr contacts, some I which I have even shot with and they all certainly motivate and inspire me.
Having a go at anything at anytime, I find you are rewarded by effort and dedication.
Simply having fun, nature and my kids energy would be also count a lot.


5: Preferred subject matter?
Even though I take a lot of landscapes due to my passion for the outdoors my preference is colour abstract, minimalism and mixed emotion shots of the kids (and eventually other people). I still have so much to explore in those realms and I find these challenging. I really enjoy trying out all facets of photography though and I do get frustrated with my lack of ability in certain areas but that’s life. I don’t want me or my photostream to be a view of one form of photography so I like to try and mix it up at least a bit.


6: Name one thing you haven't caught with the camera that you REALLY want to capture.
A 22 kilogram blue cod, I love eating fish !
Seriously though, a moment that evokes pure positive emotion would be the one for me. Something that makes the viewer laugh out loud or feel very happy. I think often at a greater level we focus on the negative because that makes the news where the positive often struggles too and yet is equally if not more powerful,
Even a self portrait of me holding the National Lottery winning ticket, I am really looking forward to that…
Oops that’s 3 things!!!


7: When in doubt about your art, who do you confide in?
A glass of wine is good start but I find my family so valuable in this respect.
My kids - even at 5 and 6 they tell me what they think, I love their honesty.
My wife-she gives me a straight view of what she thinks is good or not, then I go ahead anyway :-) but generally she’s right, uuuurgh!, she’s always a source of good healthy debate.


8: Qualifications/training in anything? i.e.: Photoshop
I did a colour photography course in London back in the 90’s and graduated with a distinction. It was only a 3 month course after work but I spent about 30 hours a week doing it in middle of winter and most shots were long cold exposures at night or abstract. I didn’t really do much with it though after that apart from some basic stuff. Now I feel I have gone backwards, forwards and sideways!! All the rest is self taught, asking my family, or advice from flickr contacts- never be afraid to ask!


9: Plans for the future?
Keep taking pictures and continue to learn, make far more of the opportunities that come my way.


10: In one word, describe your photography.
Immersion

No comments: