Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Bunny Spice

FEATURED PHOTOGRAPHER: Bunny Spice

Just a Girl and Her Bunny 18 by Bunny Spice
I love my "Just a Girl and Her Bunny" series because I adore my bunnies. I love capturing the amazing bond I have with my rabbits.

Crab Walk by Bunny Spice
I really love color and the beach. This is one of my favorites because I was shooting blindly, chasing this guy all around the beach, and I wound up with this amazing shot. Serendipity. I love it.

1: How long have you been involved in photography?

I started taking photos as a toddler. I have always had a camera and even at a young age I was serious about creating art while documenting a moment. I continued to invest in better cameras and push myself creatively over the years, and somewhere along the way I started making a little money at it. I like it like that.

2: Equipment you use?

I have a Canon EOS 30D and Canon FTb, but I have neglected my poor film camera of late. I have a 70-200mm f/2.8 lens that I use for shooting nature and sports. I want more lenses, but I make do with what I have. I prefer natural light, so I really don’t play with lights and umbrellas.

3: Mac or PC?

I go both ways.

4: What inspires you?

I love natural light. If the lighting is perfect, everything else falls into place for me. I love the unexpected, the moments when stars align and magic happens.

5: Preferred subject matter?

My adorable rabbits, of course. I love light and nature. I love my great state of Florida and its varied landscapes. Interesting architecture makes me happy, so does beautiful food. I reluctantly take posed photos of people other than myself; I prefer taking candid shots of others. I try to challenge myself often.

6: Name one thing you haven't caught with the camera that you REALLY want to capture.

The elusive Yeti? I guess I would say the perfect bunny binky – which is a rabbit leap of joy. Timing is everything.

7: When in doubt about your art, who do you confide in?

I have a wonderful boyfriend and a dear friend who are always supportive and encouraging. I never really doubt my art, though. I believe art is therapy; as long as I am taking photos, I am creating art and I am happy.

8: Qualifications/training in anything? ie: Photoshop

I took one photo class in college years ago. We shot film and played in the darkroom. I learned a lot of useful technical stuff in that class, but I am mostly self-taught. Same goes for Photoshop. I just spend time playing around and figuring things out along the way. I have to continue to challenge myself in order to stay fresh.

9: Plans for the future?

I am starting a new librarian job that comes with a lot of traveling and interesting photo opportunities. I have some photo projects that I am working on, in addition to showing work at a few galleries. Thinking about MFA programs, too. Just dreaming big and working hard to make it happen.

10: In one word, describe your photography.

Serendipitous.

No comments: