Monday, September 06, 2010

.Malcolm

FEATURED PHOTOGRAPHER: Malcolm

Aden by .Malcolm
I visit this place often - sometimes there is complete silence, not even the sound of birds,
the atmosphere is surreal

Hay by .Malcolm
This picture reminds of of summer - Where I live the weather has been miserable for the last 3-4 weeks - Summers are short in Scotland.

1: How long have you been involved in photography?

I became interested in photography about 3 years ago probably the end of 2007.
My work sometimes requires me to do on-site surveys and I used a pocket digital camera, once I saw what possibilities there were for creating pictures & art I was hooked.

2: Equipment you use?

Canon EOS 400d (which is due to be replaced)
Canon 50mm f1.8 II (excellent colour reproduction & sharpness)
Canon 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 (standard kit lens)
Tamron 18-200mm f3.5-6.3 (a handy lens for long walks when you do not want to carry loads of equipment)
Tamron 70-300mm F4-5.6 (great for shooting birds & wildlife)
Sigma 70mm F2.8 Macro
Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6
UV & Polarizing Filters
Various strength HQ diopters (close-up filters/lenses)
Various Cokin ND & grauated Filters
Manfrotto Tripod & a beanbag camera support!!

3: Mac or PC?

I have a laptop (windows) also a desktop PC. I back all my pictures up to external hard drives!
Top of my 'wish list' is a 27" iMac :-)

4: What inspires you?

I am inspired by the power & beauty of the nature that surrounds us!

5: Preferred subject matter?

Trees, lone trees, bare trees, forests, woodlands.
I have places and locations bookmarked in my mind which I return to depending on the light.

6: Name one thing you haven't caught with the camera that you REALLY want to capture.

A bear in a river catching fish in it’s mouth!!

7: When in doubt about your art, who do you confide in?

I always show my pictures first to my friends & family (especially my son) - they let me know honestly if the picture is no good.


8: Qualifications/training in anything? ie: Photoshop

I am a qualified engineer and I design equipment used on sub-sea oil & gas wells.
For my work I use 3d graphics software every day, which probably helped me learn to use Photoshop.
I am self taught in terms of photography & Photoshop.
I have read countless books on photography and have learned all I could about composition & light, and with lots of practice I have learned to get the camera to do what I want it to.

I also learn from some fantastic photograhpers that I have became friends with on Flickr
I am still learning & I wish to continually improve.

9: Plans for the future?

I get lots of requests from people wanting me to take pictures like family portraits etc. and I have always refused.
This is probably down to laziness on my part - so this is the next area of photography that I plan to get to grips with.

I have just set up a New Website to show my images:
If you have a look - leave a comment - feedback is appreciated.
Hope you enjoy:

Malcolm Glennie ~ Art Photography

10: In one word, describe your photography.

Dreamy

No comments: