Monday, December 06, 2010

Jaap Verhoeven

FEATURED PHOTOGRAPHER: Jaap Verhoeven!

Let me start saying that I’m very proud to be this weeks’ featured photographer! Thank you!
Jill was right: choosing two photos was the hardest part. I came up with these two. Please don’t ask me why. I don’t know. I just think these two are beautiful I guess…

Ascending by Jaap Verhoeven
I took this photo at home in my kitchen. The light comes from the north. This is really a very tiny flower. I like the light and the serenity. I like it’s vulnerability. The red stands out. It’s peaceful.

- by Jaap Verhoeven
This photo was taken at home as well. No flash, natural light. It’s my daughter Lisa. So I think it’s a nice photo anyway…;-)

1: How long have you been involved in photography?
Well, like most people I’ve made photos for the largest part of my life. Snapshots.
Obviously, the way we all relate to photography has changed when photography went digital. The ease of use, the instant feedback from the display on your camera or from your computer display and the huge capacity on your memorycard allowing limitless shooting has changed everything. Not to mention the possibilities to show, share and edit your pictures. All this has been very stimulating for me to pick up photography more seriously. But hey, I’m still an amateur and I do this just for fun.

2: Equipment you use?
I use Nikon equipment. I have a Nikon D300 DSLR and I use Nikon lenses. When I’m travelling light I bring my Canon S95 point and shoot.

3: Mac or PC?
Definitely Mac. At work and at home. No question about it…

4: What inspires you?
A lot of things. Nature, colour, shapes, a ray of light. But when I’m walking around in a city or a museum I always find something that probably will end up in a nice image. So...what can I tell? Photography is my passion. I do not necessarily strive for technical perfection. I just try to create interesting images: images that are pleasureable to look at. Doing so, Photoshop is not a dirty word... But most important of all, I want to have fun making photos and I hope it shows in my work.

5: Preferred subject matter?
I really like macro. So I like to capture little details, drops, insects, flowers. But there is also a more practical explanation for this. I have a fulltime job, so there isn’t as much time for photography as I would like to. I can make a macro shot in my kitchen or in my backyard. I don’t have to travel doing this. I just pick up my camera and give it a try.

6: Name one thing you haven’t caught with the camera that you REALLY want to capture.
Aurea Borealis.

7: When in doubt about your art, who do you confide in?
Time. I just back off for a little while.

8: Qualifications/training in anything? ie: Photoshop
No. I’m an autodidact. So it’s all trial and error.

9: Plans for the future?
I don’t have any concrete plans in the near future. But I do have a wish list! I’d like to join up with a professional photographer and learn the tricks of the trade. I also would like to learn about studio photography, lighting, flash… There is a lot I don’t know…

10: In one word, describe your photography.
I have looked over my photos: a drop, a flower, a face, a ceiling, a tree. I would say ‘simple’.

No comments: