Friday, October 20, 2006

Sparkle and Fade

Featured Photographer: Sparkle and Fade





1: How long have you been involved in photography?
I have always been fascinated with cameras and loved taking "snapshots". I don't think I really began to take "artistic" photography till about August of 2001. But at that time I only had a film camera (not even an SLR - yikes!). In August of 2003 I got my first digital camera and really began composing "artsy" photographs.

2: Equipment you use?
I am in dire needs of filters and a zoom len. For now, I have neither. I shoot with one of four cameras.
Most often: Canon S1 IS
Sometimes: Fujifilm FinePix 2400 Zoom
Rarely: Fujifilm D MX-2900Zoom
Rarely: (my sisters') Canon PowerShot A70.

3: Mac or PC?
PC

4: What inspires you?
Beauty, Nature, Animals, History

5: Prefered subject matter?
I prefer nature (landscapes, sunsets) and animals over portraiture or macros. I think that is really where I lack a lot of the skills you need to get competent candid or even posed shots. Lately I am trying to be more adventerous and shoot anything - a bit of a learning process :)

6: Name one thing you haven't caught with the camera that you REALLY want to capture.
There's lots of things I'd love to capture, but if I had to name one it would be churches. I keep on thinking of going cathedral hunting around my neighbourhood and trying to take pictures of the architecture and stain glass windwos. I guess another thing would be sunrises (not a morning person!) or wedding shots

7: When in doubt about your art, who do you confide in?
My husband. I don't really tell many people that I know about my photography.

8: Qualifications/training in anything? ie: Photoshop
No qualifications whatsoever. I am a teacher by trade (highschool: science/history) and photography is my way of expressing the artistic side of me that is mostly repressed in my rigid school schedule.

9: Plans for the future?
I'd love to get a dSLR
I would like to take classes in photoshop
I'm looking into getting a UV filter and a zoom lens
Practicing taking portraits (I just need a willing model)
Taking actual photography lessons with my Canon Rebel (film)

10: In one word, describe your photography.
Poetic
(especially since I love pairing literary quotes with my images. Sometimes I even think of a quote first, and then how to illustrate it with my photography).


And a message to all the admins and members of TWTME: Thank you so much for all your faves and kind comments. They are so greatly appreciated and encourage me to strive to improve my photography with each image I take. Thank you so much Sonia from all the admins!!

No comments: