Saturday, February 03, 2007

Linda's Manymuses





October- created 2006.
Autumn is my absolute favorite season and October is certainly my peak month for shooting on location. The colors of the foliage are an obvious draw early in the month, but I enjoy trees even after the leaves have fallen. There is something so sculptural about the stark shapes silhouetted against an evening sky. I drive around the countryside at dusk, eyes scanning the horizon for those black shapes on simple backgrounds, as sharply delineated to my eyes as primitive woodcuts.

Three Sisters

Three Sisters- created just this week

Again, I guess I have a passion for simple silhouettes because I keep coming back to these images of blackbirds and crows. I started a series called "Four and Twenty Blackbirds" last year, fully intending to limit myself to that number, but I have easily done more than forty now. I live in a rural area after living in the city for many years, so I am re-discovering my more primitive connections to the natural world. Entire flocks of crows, hawks, vultures and other birds inhabit my everyday life as neighbors. When I lived in the city I shot urban architecture and people on the street and the grittier side of life. Now barns and rural folk and nature are in my viewfinder. You shoot what you see.




1: How long have you been involved in photography?

My grandfather gave me his old Brownie camera complete with blue flashbulbs when I was 8 or 9 years old and I've never NOT had a camera since then. I formally studied photography in art school as part of my major in painting and illustration and I now combine all of those elements in my layered photomontage pieces.

2: Equipment you use?

In daily life, my trusty Canon 350D and Nikon 8700 for quick "driveby shootings" of landscapes. I have all manner of film cameras too which are, admittedly, gathering a bit of dust these days.

3: Mac or PC?

PC at the moment, but I have known and loved both.

4: What inspires you?

Nature, emotion, simple yet impactful compositions, narrative content, negative space, chiaroscuro lighting, texture, history, mythology, literature, themes in my daily life...



5: Preferred subject matter?

Nature and landscapes though ironically, as a painter, I paint primarily people. I love to photograph people at events too, such as my rodeo and parade sets but that aspect of my work is often overlooked due to the sheer volume of landscape images.
.
6: Name one thing you haven't caught with the camera that you REALLY want to capture.

The essence of my three year old son's radiant little persona. He's an epic character.

7: When in doubt about your art, who do you confide in?

No one really. At this point I have learned to trust my own judgement. I just generally keep working through the problem in images until I get through those valleys and on to the next idea.


8: Qualifications/training in anything? ie: Photoshop

I have an MFA in illustration and studied with the good folks at Adobe for a year while perfecting my craft. So, while I still shoot "straight" photography nearly every day, my real pleasure lies in creating photo illustrations with layers of meaning to discover or not. I enjoy creating evocative images that seem to have a story to tell or a subtext of emotion or narrative content.

9: Plans for the future?

My immediate plans are to give birth to the daughter I am expecting in April and to try to continue to work after she is born. No small feat there! Anyone know a reliable babysitter?

Big opportunities- My work was just featured in the Design Sponge Shop www.designspongeshop.com and I am in talks to start selling prints of my work in some exclusive stores in New York and San Francisco so there are lots of things percolating behind the scenes.
I am also working with a talented jewelry designer who is featuring my work in her fine art jewelry pieces at www.Alisamichelle.com.

Life, above all, is good.


10: In one word, describe your photography.

Narrative.

We hope you enjoy Linda's wonderful photos. It would be great if you could leave a little congraulatory message here for her and I urge you to visit Linda's photostream HERE , you won't be disappointed.
Thank you for being our featured Photographer this week Linda!,and Congratulations!!!

No comments: