Thursday, February 22, 2007

Darwin Bell

dreamcicle
Dreamcicle...

This one has a very special place in my heart, as it was chosen as TWTME icon of the day and it was the first time that any photo of mine of Flickr had garnered any attention and it made me consider taking photography more seriously. It also challenges me to step up my game to prove to myself that it wasn't a fluke.



3 out of 4 will ain't bad

It is really hard to choose two favorites but i think this shot pretty well encapsulates my love of shooting an image of the small details to show something that otherwise might go unseen




Interview With Darwin Bell!


1: How long have you been involved in photography?
I have been taking Polaroid’s for an art project called "Sign Language" for about 21/2 years. Then I received a digital camera and a Flickr pro account for my birthday, Dec 2005 and have been pretty much addicted to both since then


2: Equipment you use?

I am currently using a Casio EX-Z850 point and shoot and while I get a lot of "you use a point and shoot?" comments, it has done me very well so far and the fact that it is so easy to transport, makes it impossible for me not to take pictures. I am sure I will upgrade someday but for now I am loving this one


3: Mac or PC?

I use both but do most of the post production work on my pc.


4: What inspires you?

Everything around me, everywhere I go. I love taking the small detail of the large picture and amplifying it to make people see it in a different way or making something that may not be traditionally pretty to look at and making it into a compelling image. I guess my main goal is to have a unique viewpoint that at some point will become recognizable.


5: Preferred subject matter?

Well, if it's colorful, I will shoot it. I also like to take askew pictures of familiar objects. Oh and anything on a whiteground. And don't forget macros of locks and rust/decay.


6: Name one thing you haven't caught with the camera that you REALLY want to capture.

I would love to get a picture of a hummingbird in flight, possibly looking into the camera and very close range. Is that too much to ask?


7: When in doubt about your art, who do you confide in?
My friends Kate or Waleed outside of Flickr and on Flickr, Asta, Borealnz, Andreboxbox, on vinyl and StL Photographer's always are there with good advice. I find Flickr and TWTME group to be exceptionally inspiring. I can't imagine being so involved without them.


8: Qualifications/training in anything? ie: Photoshop
Well, I read my manual pretty thoroughly and once I realized I had Office Picture Manager, I was able to teach myself how to adjust colors, saturations, brightness etc, as well as the all important cropping. I used to be against manipulating my images in any way until I realized I could and my older photostream pictures will sadly attest to this.


9: Plans for the future?
I am working on getting a gallery show where I have my Polaroid Art by sometime before June of this year, so we will see how that goes. But other than that, I just want to keep shooting, learning and improving every day.


10: In one word, describe your photography.
Darwinian

No comments: