Sunday, August 12, 2007

Kentuckiana

FEATURED PHOTOGRAPHER:Kentuckiana

The Unforgettable Sunrise
This shot was just a matter of being in the right place at the right time. I was on vacation with my sister last summer (Myrtle Beach). I woke her up one early morning, grabbed my Canon A70 and we walked to the beach and just stood there for about 2 hours and marveled at the beauty of sunrise. This image really speaks to me. It’s also my very first photo that was ranked No. 1 on Explore. So I’m pretty happy with how it turned out considering it was captured with a 3.2mp point and shoot camera with no editing done other than rotating the horizon level.

"Expect More"
This has to be one of the photos that I’m quite proud of. That’s why I decided to use this as my buddy icon. I personally feel that I positioned myself perfectly right under the hot air balloon to get just the right angle. And I also love the color contrasts, red and blue always go together harmoniously.

1: How long have you been involved in photography?

In some ways, all my life, simply because I've always been fascinated with images . My uncle was my first influence. I would go crazy looking at his photo albums, he took some really amazing photos that I found so stunning and I was quite envious. But I never really gave photography a serious thought until my sister and her husband gave me a 1.3mp digital camera. I can’t remember the brand, but it was a good stepping stone into what was ahead of me. When she purchased a Canon A70, I decided to do the same. Read the reviews and found that it was one of the best selling point and shoot cameras at the time. It occurred to me that I wanted to do more than just document my family and friends, places we went on vacation, stuff like that. So I began to learn all I could about photography. Then one bleak December day (2004) I stumbled across Flickr, found the competitive nature of the site very much to my liking and got hooked immediately.

2: Equipment you use?

My earlier photos were shot using my Canon A70. Now my equipment includes an Olympus FE-230 given to me by my husband for our wedding anniversary and recently I have acquired my very first DSLR, a Canon Rebel XT, thanks to a Godsent angel who has answered my prayer. I’ve just started using Photoshop CS3 a few months ago, it was excruciating in the beginning, to get the right effect was tough but I’m starting to understand the steps and different ways of editing photos better.

3: Mac or PC?

Being employed at some major Computer corporations in the past, Mac was never an option. I have to show my loyalty to them, so PC would be my choice. An HP laptop to be specific.

4: What inspires you?

Definitely God’s perfect creation. Nature is perfect unaltered. I enjoy communicating what I experience and see. And nature allows me to do that; the ability to express myself. Flickr is a great place to learn as well. I get my inspiration and motivation mostly from the work of my fellow Flickr friends. They have an abundance of talent and creativity and I am regularly impressed by them. Some of their images remain etched in my mind. They are unforgettable.

5: Preferred subject matter?

I try not to be limited to a single subject. I want to be loose. How I capture an image is an opportunity for self-expression, it’s my creative outlet, and it’s a challenge & a way of life. So I take photos of anything that catches my attention including people, nature, landscape and still life. I focus more on portrait shots lately, capturing emotions provoking thought or feeling. But if I have to choose, it would be flowers and rural scene. Flower textures fascinate me. The simplicity of country life (barns, silos and farm animals) amazes me as well.

6: Name one thing you haven't caught with the camera that you REALLY want to capture.

I have always wanted to visit the holy and sacred Mecca and capture its beauty. I would also love to visit at least one of the Seven Wonders of the World and make a photo journal of the trip.

7: When in doubt about your art, who do you confide in?

I always confide in my husband to get a second opinion. He calls a spade a spade, and he would tell me what looks good and what doesn’t.

8: Qualifications/training in anything? ie: Photoshop

I'm entirely self-taught, both photography and Photoshop. When it comes to photography, I capture what my heart tells me. As for Photoshop, I just learn the different techniques online with a bit of help from friends.

9: Plans for the future?

I've never felt so passionate about any other venture in my life. My long-term goal is to be a free-lance photojournalist. Or possibly be able to exhibit my work in the near future. In the meantime, I will continue to practice and keep shooting. Photography is something that takes a day to learn and a lifetime to master. And I have a long way to go, that’s for sure

10: In one word, describe your photography.

Aesthetic



Thank you so much Jill and the TWTME team for this wonderful opportunity

No comments: