Monday, August 20, 2007

KristinHayes

FEATURED PHOTOGRAPHER: KristinHayes


-- from KristinHayes - (?)
This little guy is the son of a good friend (my maid of honor). I just love taking newborn photos. They are so new and tiny and scrunchy. This was the first official shoot I did with my 5D and it was a joy. This shoot really represented an advancement in my photography - my equipment, my skill set and most importantly my eye.

Shine

I went to see an exhibit of Chihuly glass at the Franklin Park Conservatory last November with JohnnyPearl and his mother, mommePearl. It was an amazing experience, both meeting these two for the first time, and being able to photograph all the wonderful glass and flowers. I came out with so many photos that one contact said it was "an embarrassment of riches." I've been working on my raw processing through ACR lately and revisited that old folder. I found a bunch of photos that I never processed and I decided to see what 9 more months of experience would lend to the photos, and I was very happy with the results. I just love the colors, the lines and that amazing light!

1: How long have you been involved in photography?
My father is a retired wedding photographer so photography has always been part of my life in one way or another. Those annual school pictures weren't going to cut it so I think we would have photo shoots ever 6 months, so I had plenty of experience in front of the camera. But I remember the first time Dad let me take his Pentax SLR somewhere. It was for a 6th grade field trip to Mystic Aquarium (Connecticut) and I loved it. Over the next several years the camera became more mine than his. :-) I got my first DSLR in the fall of 2002 and loved it, and really put it to work when my son was born in 2004. And of course, when I found Flickr, and the people on it, I took it to another level.

2: Equipment you use?
Canon 5D, 24-70mm f/2.8L, 50mm f/1.8

3: Mac or PC?
I'm a PC girl. I'm a programmer by day and my husband is also a computer geek, which comes in very handy. We have more computers in our house than we have people. :-)

4: What inspires you?
Well, my son is my biggest inspiration, but every day I come across things inspire me. When it comes to portraits I love to capture emotions. Capturing a pretty picture of someone is nice, but capturing an emotion (pretty or not) is so much more powerful. The desire to capture a peek into someone's heart and mind inspire me. I'm also inspired by finding beauty in everyday things and in unexpected places.

5: Preferred subject matter?
A lot of people know me for my portraits, and I love to take newborn portraits. But I really love to shoot everything. I love flowers and oftentimes will shoot them for their beauty or for a study (including my latest project creating abstracts). But when taking pictures of beautiful things, it's less of a challenge to find the beauty in them. Finding the beauty in things that don't have obvious beauty is a greater, and more satisfying challenge to me. I love turning something rusty and crusty or a dirty old building into a beautiful piece of art.

6: Name one thing you haven't caught with the camera that you REALLY want to capture.
I had a friend describe to me how he feels when he surfs. When he finished telling me, I said, "I want to capture that." I don't want to just take pictures of someone surfing. I want to capture those feelings and emotions he conveyed to me. It's been almost a year and I still get excited thinking about possibly capturing that. I hope that one day I will get the chance.

7: When in doubt about your art, who do you confide in?
I have some wonderful Flickr friends (ohsleepless1 and JWas) who I can always count on, but the person who I depend on the most is my friend John (JohnnyPearl). Other people in my life have been supportive and helped make me feel like a photographer. He was the first person who really made me feel like an artist.

8: Qualifications/training in anything? ie: Photoshop
Last year I took a refresher course on my DSLR, when I was still shooting with my Canon Rebel (300D). Other than that (and a photography course in high school MANY years ago) I haven't taken any classes. It's trial & error, as well as some great information/advice from some great Flickr contacts.

9: Plans for the future?
I currently have a part time portrait photography business. I would love it if some day I could go full-time, specializing in black and white newborn sessions. I would also like to drum up some business selling prints of photos I take for pure enjoyment so maybe I could earn something to put in my 100mm macro lens fund. :-)

10: In one word, describe your photography.
emotional

No comments: