Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Maya Newman

FEATURED PHOTOGRAPHER: Maya Newman

-- from Maya Newman - (?)


-- from Maya Newman - (?)

The first one "Missing the Summer" was one of my first ever lomo shots. Taken while being driven through Richmond park on my birthday on a beautiful sunny day.

The 2nd one is "I Want To Live In Brighton". Brighton has great light for taking pictures and I just love the seagulls. I like to catch them in mid air.

1: How long have you been involved in photography?

I got a pentax in the mid 80's, so since then.

2: Equipment you use?

My main camera these days is a a lomo LC-A, I'll use a Holga if the
conditions are good (bright and sunny). I only shoot on film.

3: Mac or PC?

Definitely Mac.

4: What inspires you?

Travelling always gives a fresh look on the world.

5: Preferred subject matter?

I'm quite obsessive in my choice of subject matter. I can shoot certain
things over & over like pylons, tall buildings, low flying planes, etc. I
have my LC-A with me all the time so I'm just looking and clicking all the time.
.
6: Name one thing you haven't caught with the camera that
you REALLY want to capture.


I often see Water Towers and other industrial structures when I'm travelling past on a motorway or in a train but I can't really get close enough to shoot them.

7: When in doubt about your art, who do you confide in?

My husband Colin. He first showed me how to use a camera.


8: Qualifications/training in anything? ie: Photoshop

I've got a degree in fine art but my background is as a musician. I approach visual art in the same way I approach music. Instinctively.


9: Plans for the future?

I'm working towards a book which merges my loves of image making and music.


10: In one word, describe your photography.

Obsessive-hypnotic

No comments: