Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Tarlyn

FEATURED PHOTOGRAPHER:Tarlyn

This one was the photograph I took that really changed things for me, and made me view my work in a completely different way. I had a friend who had a new baby and I wanted to create an image that had an iconic feel to it. A little like an oil painting, but also had a duality – A feel of the cycle of life – Youth and age or a hidden treasure. Borealnz picked up on this picture and it was icon of the day on TWTMEs
It was the first time any picture of mine had any kind of exposure. It spurred me on, and I will always be grateful

Strangely I am not sure how much I like it now, but it has been good to me.


My second choice is ‘Violin’. I took it very recently. My seven year old son plays the violin, and we were both interested in the idea of playing outside, and documenting it. I was interested in creating a photograph that had an emotional depth to it an a story within it. Also it was just wonderful to do. This is the kind of work I love doing. Taking what could be a domestic shot and transplanting it to a different and unexpected place.

Darkness 2 (the square crop)

1: How long have you been involved in photography?
I spent my career working in the creative arts – theatre, and film. After having had 3 children (now aged 7, 3 and 2) it was hard to do the time consuming creative work that I had been doing. I felt stuck; I not sure who I was anymore and not sure what to do about it.

18 months ago I picked up a camera and started to take pictures; it was like an epiphany. It was as if the very thing I had been searching for throughout my life was in front of me all the time. The camera, my eyes and mind met and since then I have become obsessed with taking photographs and learning to become a better at it. This is so much more than a hobby.


2: Equipment you use?
I have a two Holgas 135bc and 120CFN
Polaroid Joycam and Polaroid Izone and Polaroid 600
Nikon D70
Nikon D300 (new)
Nikkor 55mm
Nikkor 85mm 1.4
Nikkor 188mm-70mm kit lens
Tokina 12-24mm F4
Speedlight SB800
Phew!

3: Mac or PC?
Always has been and always will be a Mac

4: What inspires you?
Adverse weather conditions
Snow
Characterful people
Surprises
New leaves
Fresh paper
Faces
Snowstorms/domes
My family
Artists
Other Photographers
The northern lights
Light

5: Preferred subject matter?
Currently people
.
6: Name one thing you haven't caught with the camera that you REALLY want to capture.
I would love to do a series of photographs of older people in unusual locations. I’m also planning a photographic project with musicians.

7: When in doubt about your art, who do you confide in?
I always have doubts about my art! Maybe it is what drives me.
I confide in my partner, and also JLM a who is on Flickr who I met through PictureThis.
www.flickr.com/photos/what_silence_looks_like/


8: Qualifications/training in anything? ie: Photoshop
None, I’m a self-taught photographer and photoshopper, and am always practicing.
I did get a degree in performance!!


9: Plans for the future?
I’m testing the water at present, taking risks and looking into becoming a pro photographer.


10: In one word, describe your photography.
Engaginglyeclectic

No comments: