Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Freelancevirtuoso

FEATURED PHOTOGRAPHER:Freelancevirtuoso


-- from freelancevirtuoso - (?)
A looking up view at the Getty Center in Brentwood, Los Angeles. The geometry that Richard Meier (architect) offers here is unbelievable. He bases much of this design on a 30” square pattern, replicated throughout the museum and [proportionally] exemplified here by the way this opening frames the sky. I have dedicated a lot of time to this particular site.


-- from freelancevirtuoso - (?)
To loom...

Here we see a detail of Frank Gehry’s Disney Concert Hall in downtown Los Angeles. It is a study in composition. This piece is dear to me because it shows how Gehry can basically drop a towel on the floor and make a building out of it . Lines come and go and not only support a structure but create sensations as well as living space. Much is around us if we open our eyes, and I admire his capacity to look at things, simple things that may already exist but see them differently. I have been visiting this building about every two weeks for over a year now…and I am only scratching the surface.

1: How long have you been involved in photography?

I did a short stint in the late 70’s using a great Canon camera, the AT1 – black and white (TriX film), even bought an enlarger and had my own “lab” fun….but after a year I sold everything and moved on. This latest, all digital (and serious) phase took flight on February of ’07 – it has changed my life.

2: Equipment you use?
A Nikon D50 with a variety of regular Nikkor lenses, 18-55 mm, 55-200 mm, and for the last two/three months a Sigma 10-20.
However: as of April 29 I joined the Elite Nikon D300 club which I equipped with a superb lens for shooting what I love, architecture, the 14-24 f/2.8 G ED
The D50 package served me beautifully and I would and will continue to use it. It is not the size of the camera, but I am now looking at more pixels, and state of the art technology – this will enable me to take on a professional job if the opportunity presents itself. You have to stay ahead of the pack these days.

3: Mac or PC?
Mac…..all the way; it rules!

4: What inspires you?
Life itself - keep your eyes open, there is a lot out there. Every hour of the day offers a different light quality, texture, color...if you want to come back empty handed, go fishing in the dead sea.

5: Preferred subject matter
Architecture / architectural abstracts.

6: Name one thing you haven't caught with the camera that you REALLY want to capture.
The highest form of architecture: the female nude

7: When in doubt about your art, who do you confide in
Well, you see…me and my gut have this close relationship…

8: Qualifications/training in anything? ie: Photoshop

PS Elements 4.0 and lately PSE 6.0...I am a total novice. But I am also a purist and the color correction, etc. of the Elements group have what I need.

9: Plans for the future
A showing of my photographs, getting a sponsor.

10: In one word, describe your photography.
Instinctivewithafocusoncomposition – gee, some words are long!

No comments: