Thursday, October 02, 2008

*Karo*

FEATURED PHOTOGRAPHER: *Karo*


-- from *Karo* - (?)
This spring when a neighbor's pear tree blossomed it was absolutely swarming with bees, so I spent quite a bit of time underneath it happily snapping away. I lucked out with a few good shots.


-- from *Karo* - (?)
I took my son to a local lake to feed the ducks and was lucky enough to witness a mid-air egret fight almost directly overhead. I love the simplicity of this photo and the lines the birds' bodies make.

1: How long have you been involved in photography?

Not very long at all. In anticipation of the birth of my son I bought my first DSLR -- a Nikon D70 -- in early 2005, but I was guilty of using it like a glorified point-and-shoot. It wasn't until I upgraded to a D80 in May 2007 that I made the decision to start educating myself about photography (it's amazing how much my photography improved once I learned how exposure actually works -- go figure). The purchase of my first macro later that year helped me take things up another notch, and once I started using Photoshop regularly things really took off.

I did own a Konica Tomato as kid. So really, I owe it all to the Tomato.

2: Equipment you use?

My Nikon D300 frequently has the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 EX DC HSM mounted on it, but I also use a slew of Nikon lenses: the 85mm f/1.4D, 60mm f/2.8D Micro, the 105mm f/2.8G VR Micro, the 17-55mm f/2.8G, and the 50mm f/1.8D. I process using Aperture and CS3.

3: Mac or PC?

I am an unabashed Mac fangirl. I use a Macbook Pro. I also love checking out my and my contacts' photos on my high-definition TV using my AppleTV.

4: What inspires you?

People. Nature. Beauty. Detail. Line. Color. Light.

5: Preferred subject matter?

Naturey crap and people, with a special shout-out to my son, my photography catalyst.

6: Name one thing you haven't caught with the camera that
you REALLY want to capture.


Just one? Jeez. I have like a million. So I guess I'll say "the world," since that includes the Great Wall of China, the Pyramids of Egypt, Venice's canals ... You see where I'm going with this.

7: When in doubt about your art, who do you confide in?

Truth be told, I don't really take myself or my photography seriously enough yet to call it art or to have had any crises regarding said art. At this point I'm still just a slob with a camera.

8: Qualifications/training in anything? ie: Photoshop

Nada, tostada. No classes, no nothin'.

9: Plans for the future?

I've noodled around the idea of making a stab at going pro, but at this point it's still an idea. I feel like I still have so much to learn! Although I suspect I'll always feel that way.

Also, see my answer to question #6 once the kid's a little older.

10: In one word, describe your photography.

Clear.

No comments: