Sunday, October 04, 2009

Gert van Duinen

FEATURED PHOTOGRAPHER: Gert van Duinen

Wonderful Winter...

This image doesn't necessarily mean something to me, but turning a most mundane photo into an extraordinary scenery is perhaps one of the strengths I hear often from those who viewed my work. I guess this image perfectly illustrates how I can go about insane during post, turning a nearby scene into a perfect Christmas card we would send to our friends and family. Ssst, we actually did :)
Wonderful Winter... by Gert van Duinen


Punt van Reide I

This image means a lot to me. It's one from a series I made at a very unique place in the utmost Northeastern part of the Netherlands. I love this part of Holland that I was literally drawn to on a summer evening. Honestly, this was my first serious attempt to document a place solely with photographic perfection in mind, thus without any extraordinary post production techniques involved.

Punt van Reide I by Gert van Duinen

1: How long have you been involved in photography?
I have never been seriously involved into photography. I consider myself being an image creator.

2: Equipment you use?
Nikon D300, Tokina ultra-wides, Manfrotto 190B + ballhead, remote shutter release, MagLites®, ND110, IR-720 and a thermos of regular Douwe Egberts coffee, black no sugar please.

3: Mac or PC?
PC's, can't think of something better and more flexible. I'm hooked.

4: What inspires you?
Mainly shipyards around the early 20th Century and Dutch 17th century landscape painters. In particular those from the Dutch Golden Age, like the expressive landscapes from Jacob van Ruisdael, the rough seas from Ludolf Bakhuizen and maritime paintings from Simon de Vlieger and Abraham Storck.

5: Preferred subject matter?
Landscapes, shipyards, lakes and harsh weather conditions.

6: Name one thing you haven't caught with the camera that you REALLY want to capture?
A big fat typhoon endangering ships on a billowing sea "-).

7: When in doubt about your art, who do you confide in?
Peers who know they have grounded critique.

8: Qualifications/training in anything? ie: Photoshop?
I'm a trained graphics designer with a self-taught specialty in logo and corporate identity design. Throughout the years I received numerous diploma's and certificates, ranging from advanced Photoshop & Illustrator to Flash and typographic design. Thankfully I'm still learning today.

9: Plans for the future?
Too much to handle in one lifetime. But yes, I'd like to have more purpose behind my photography and image editing efforts. Perhaps through assignments and new opportunities.

10: In one word, describe your photography.
Expressive?

No comments: