Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Janey Kay

FEATURED PHOTOGRAPHER: Janey Kay

Star of the show by Janey Kay
This one because it was one of my first people photos and it was a special evening for the star of the photo ...

357/366 Les phantômes du 16ème... Ghosts of the 16th ... by Janey Kay
And this one because it embodies Paris for me ... and although there's a lot wrong with it, it inspired me to do a lot of other photos afterwards ...

1: How long have you been involved in photography?

As a child I liked to seek out beautiful landscapes but the photos never represented what I saw. For a long time I even gave up holidays snaps because I was so disappointed. In 2005 I got my first digital P&S, in 2006 I bought my first DSLR and moved to Paris (great inspiration!) and at the end of 2007 I discovered Flickr thanks to a work colleague. And thanks to Flickr I discovered that people don't only take holiday photos or family snaps. What a revelation!


2: Equipment you use?

Currently a Nikon D80 (though I'm lusting after a D300 right now...) and my Canon Powershot G9 which I try to have with me all the time.


3: Mac or PC?
PC

4: What inspires you?
That is a difficult question! Other photographers here on Flickr without a doubt ... and well, light I think. If I see beautiful natural light I want to find something to photograph in that light.


5: Preferred subject matter?
I'm never bored if I have a camera with me ... I like reflections & shadows, movement, people, perspective, emotions, minimalism ... and the thousands of variations of the sky!


6: Name one thing you haven't caught with the camera that you REALLY want to capture.

My target this year is to take more photos of people ... to capture more of the range of human emotions.
As for a thing? There's just so much ... I could say a better photo of my favourite bridge in Paris ... finding a unique viewpoint of the Eiffel Tower ... or finding the ultimate lonely tree in a field! The world is so big with so many opportunities!

7: When in doubt about your art, who do you confide in?
I'm always in doubt ... and I just wait to see what people here on Flickr say and then think about that next time ... I do like to receive constructive comments here and I can choose to remember them or forget them depending on how useful they are to me and what I am looking to achieve!


8: Qualifications/training in anything? ie: Photoshop
No qualifications or training, but I do learn a lot from my friends in Paris at Balades Parisiennes - a group set up a year ago where I've met some very nice and talented people during our Paris photowalks.

9: Plans for the future?
Just to keep improving my skills especially in comopsition and also to learn properly how to use my tripod!

10: In one word, describe your photography
Varied!

No comments: