Monday, October 01, 2007

Fort Photo

FEATURED PHOTOGRAPHER: Fort Photo


-- from Fort Photo - (?)

Bosque del Apache National Wildlife Refuge in New Mexico is a dream location for combining two of my favorite activities: birding and photography. This image has had very little post-processing, I was thrilled the way the silhouettes and golds turned out. I also like how it's both an avian capture and a landscape at the same time. Bosque has to be one of the best spots on earth for doing nature photography in general.


-- from Fort Photo - (?)

I decided to feature this image as I do quite a bit of night photography, and this one while being one of my all-time favorites has not gotten as much attention as some of my other work.

1: How long have you been involved in photography?

Over 25 years ago I got my first camera-- a pinhole camera kit. I've been shooting with SLRs for over 20 years.

2: Equipment you use?

Cameras: Nikon D70, Nikon N90s, Nikon Coolpix 4500, Polaroid Land Camera, Kodak Instamatic 124. Lenses: 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF AF-S Zoom-Nikkor, 300mm f/4 AF Nikkor, 50mm f/1.8 AF Nikkor, 105 f/2.8 Macro AF Nikkor (non-VR version), Nikon 80-200mm f/2.8D ED AF Zoom Nikkor, Tokina 28-80 F2.8 AT-X, Kenko Pro telecoverters at 1.4x and 2x. Flash: Nikon SB-28 and SB-15, Sunpack AF 4500 or something heh. I have an external cable, slave and bracket for flash as well. Reflectors made from car sunshades, a mess of filters (most used: polarizer, ND, ND grad, warming, didymium) plus a bunch of stuff I'm sure I have forgot hah.

For my 4500 coolpix, I use it primarily for digiscoping distant birds these days and for that use either a Nikon TelesMicro ED6 x 18D monoscope (amazing optic, also doubles as a field lens/microscope) or my Nikon 60mm ED Fieldscope with various eye-pieces. My tripod is a non-exciting Bogen 3021 with a variety of heads, but I really need to upgrade here. I also use a monopod, bean bags and a window mount for my camera.

3: Mac or PC?

Work on a PC but like Macs too.

4: What inspires you?

I find inspiration everywhere I look. Whether it’s the incredible biodiversity on our planet that I love to study and photograph or if it’s an emotion I’m feeling-- there always seems to be something pushing me to go capture more images. Also being here on flickr has proved to really invigorate and inspire me all the more with the great photos one can find everyday and the encouraging comments my friends share.

5: Preferred subject matter?

Not really any, I like many genres ranging from street to studio. But in practice I tend to post landscapes, birds, and other nature images most often which makes sense as I am completely fascinated by the natural world.
.
6: Name one thing you haven't caught with the camera that you REALLY want to capture.

A whole list of birds that are still eluding me such as Mountain Plover.

7: When in doubt about your art, who do you confide in?

My wife has a BFA from Oregon College of Art and Craft and is a wonderful sounding board for ideas and critique.

8: Qualifications/training in anything? e.g. Photoshop

Photoshop, Gimp, Photomatix, LucisArt, Nikon Capture NX, DxO Optics Pro, and LucisArt among others. Back in film days I led a darkroom lab for a black and white photojournalism college level class but have not been in a darkroom in years since the advent of the digital darkroom.

9: Plans for the future?

I want to continue pushing myself to grow as a photographer. In a lot of ways I feel that digital cameras and the digital darkroom have opened a new frontier in photography and a number of us on flickr and elsewhere are on a journey of exploration in that frontier. It's getting to the point where it's literally quite exciting to log on flickr and see what the amazing artists here have come up with next. Also I am focusing on trying to get my work out there more via both for profit and not for profit channels. And I of course have a long list of equipment and workshops I would love to spoil myself with, but in the end I think just getting out and taking the best images I can manage is the most important goal.

10: In one word, describe your photography.

Passionate

No comments: